In some circumstances, companies may have to migrate their databases from SQL Server to MySQL in order to reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) or simply to make a choice toward open-source DBMS. Such conversion or migration of the database involves careful planning to make sure that the resulting database will have sufficient performance and reliability.
Database migration from SQL Server to MySQL includesthe following steps:
- export MS SQL table definitions as SQL data definition language (DDL) statements
- translate these statements into MySQL dialect of DDL and load itinto the target DBMS
- export data from the source MS SQL database into comma separated values (CSV) files
- transform these CSV files (if necessary)so it complies with MySQL format
- import the data into the destination DBMS
There are some special software designed to simplify database conversion from MS SQL to MySQL. This software converts all database objects such as table definitions with necessary attributes (null flag, default values, etc), data, indexes and constraints, views. When choosing the right tool to migrate SQL Server database to MySQL, it is important to recognize the basic features whichmust be provided by converter:
- high performance of database migration in terms of rows or megabytes per second (it is reasonable to expect at least 2000 rows per second on a modern hardware platform)
- it must work on all recent versions of Windows including Windows 7,8 and 10
- it mustsupport all version of MySQL (both Linux and Windows) and MS SQL (including Azure SQL)
- support of MySQL variations such as MariaDB or Percona is an extra benefit
- option of merging and synchronizing the existing MySQL database with SQL Server data
- Unicode support
- complete install and uninstallsupport
- easy to use interface
- command line support
One of databases migration tools having all these features is MS SQL to MySQL converter by Intelligent Converters. This software company specializes in database conversion and migration since 2001. Besides the basic capabilities, MS SQL to MySQL database converter has some extra advantages described below.
Sometimes MySQL server does not accept remote connections.For such cases,the program providesoption to export database into SQL script file instead of moving it to the target server directly. According to this approach, SQL Server databaseis converted into a local file containingMySQLstatements, which create tables along with indexes and constraints and fill them with data. Later the database specialistcan import this SQL script file to MySQL server manually via the standard tools like MySQL console client or phpMyAdmin.
In certain situations, it may be required to convert not the entire table but only part ofit or to merge data from multiple tables into a single one. In order to meet such requirements, the MS SQL to MySQL converter allows processing the data that is result of SELECT queries running against the source MS SQL database.
Finally, the program provides multiple features to customize literally each aspect of the conversion process.One of these features calling “custom types mapping” allows changing column name, type or default value of every column in the resultingtable. Another customizationfeature is designed to specify MySQL table types such as MyISAM, HEAP, InnoDB or BDB and resulting character set.